When you think of meticulous details, high standards and a class of his own, you think of Tun Chin Ang. A captain and waiter in our NYC team, Tun Chin is the type of staff member who makes you think he runs the place after only one shift at each venue. Tun Chin truly enjoys creating new ways of doing this job, leaving his own personal mark on every client and venue he visits. He not only loves to work he also has a true passion for quickly understanding everyone he meets whether it be a guest in the executive dining room or the head chef. Whether it's an exclusive wedding or an important business deal, Tun Chin is the kind of person that can truly make an event go from special to spectacular. We recently sat down with this star staff member to learn a bit more about him. Check it out below.
1. How long have you been working with us, Tun Chin? It’s been six years, I came in knowing very little about the catering industry.
2. Where did you grow up? I grew up in Malaysia and still have family there.
3. What attracted you to the hospitality industry? I really like the personal touch and enjoy interacting with so many different kinds of people. It makes me happy to know something small I do can make a big impact on the event. It’s pretty special to have the power to make someone feel better just by being you. Also, we have the opportunity to experience so many different venues, at times even getting to go to a different place every day. You really get to experience other people’s lives and learn from each other.
4. What's your favorite part about working for AYS? AYS is a special family. I really enjoy the people I work with - you create so many great relationships. Also, the flexibility is great. I love to travel and get to travel so much more having a flexible schedule. Unlike some of my friends I never have to take work home with me which makes it a lot more fun.
5. What advice would give you a new member of AYS? I would say you must be willing to learn. No matter how much you knew before there is so much more to learn. You should be wanting to learn for yourself not just to pick up a paycheck. Recognize the importance of presentation and detail that is what has set me apart. Some clients have even adapted what I have created and made it the standard at their location. That did not come overnight. That came from watching the more senior members of the company seeing how they did things. Noticing that even if it took them 10 times they would not let a guest see the setup unless was truly perfect.
6. How do you unwind after a long day? After an stressful day, I love to do yoga, travel, and spend time with friends and family.
To work with Tun and the other star staff members that make up the AYS team, click HERE.