What do we look for when we hire? Our NYC interviewer, Gwen Stephens, reveals what it takes to be a member of the At Your Service Team!
1. How long have you been working with us, Gwen? I began in the field in September 2016 and became the New York City Hiring Coordinator in March of this year.
2. As the hiring coordinator what do you do? I review all the applications and schedule interviews with those that seem to have potential. After that I conduct daily in person interviews, send offer letters and handle all hiring paperwork.
3. What do you look for when you decide to hire someone? I really believe in our motto: Attitude is everything. You do not need to have a lot of experience but you do have to be willing to learn, be open to feedback, and be able to work well with others. Being on time and having all required documents also leaves a positive impression.
4. What experience did you have before working for At Your Service? I had worked in retail and hospitals previous to my time here. It’s funny to think now but when I was hired I never had held a tray in my life! I love that AYS is willing to give people with no experience a chance if they have the right attitude! You truly build your own brand - when I applied for the hiring coordinator job I had never met the account managers as they were new. BUT, they knew who I was from the feedback clients and team leaders had given them, and that’s what gave me the opportunity to be here today.
5. What advice would you give to a new hire? No matter how small you feel the job you are assigned at a specific event is, do your best. It did not matter what I did I wanted to be proud of my work and clients saw that and offered me more opportunities. Be open to learning new things and watch others that are experienced to see how they do such a great job.
6. What is your favorite experience so far with At Your Service? We had the head of one of our client companies attend a lunch. It was a very hectic high stress day and everyone just worked together and jumped in. The client, the event planner, the in house staff, my coworkers and I stayed positive and really came together as one team! After the client emailed us how flawless the VIP felt our event went. Knowing I played a part in something that big was very rewarding.
7. How do you unwind after a long day? I like to plan events for my loved ones, picking out food and décor. I also love shopping and am a big foodie. I am going to Japan this year and can’t wait!
To become a part of AYS and have an opportunity to meet with Gwen and our other great hiring coordinators click here.